The Samaritan woman was seeking to divert the conversation away from her own personal needs by bringing up a controversial religious subject (John 4:19-24). Jesus assures her that the Father is more concerned about the content of worship than by its geographical location. Paul’s instruction to Timothy was:”I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting”. 1Timothy2:8
God is looking for those who will worship Him in spirit and in truth. This kind of worship requires:
1. Ask God for a fresh cleansing from sin. Confession, forgiveness and cleansing from all unrighteousness. 1John 1:7
2. Shut out as many of the five senses as possible in order to remove the distractions of “all that is in the world”. 1John 2:16
3. Fill my mind with Scripture. Don’t leave your mind empty or Satan will dump his garbage into it. The demon “...returns with seven other spirits more wicked than himself” Matthew 12:45
4. Open my spirit to God’s Spirit. “...be filled with the Spirit.” Ephesians 5:18
5. The Holy Spirit then opens up the truth of Scripture to my mind. “He will teach you all things...” John 14:26
This is the worship the Father wants whether we are in Jerusalem or Samaria or any other part of the world.
This is just a quick snapshot of spiritual worship. If you would like the whole picture listen to “How to know when to change churches”.